Thursday, August 28, 2008

Spinach Tikkis (Patties)

I had to find a easy way for Rohan to eat spinach, it had to be a finger food, tasty and healthy. My mother is big into tikkis (patties), she can make tikkis out of anything. So I thought what would she do to make us eat spinach and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
Fresh spinach
Gram flour (Besan)
Whole wheat flour
Cumin seeds
Salt
Garlic

Saute fresh baby spinach on olive oil (any oil is fine, clarified butter will make it tastier) crush 2-3 buds of garlic in it. Let it cool. Add besan (protein) + whole wheat flour (carb). Knead it (sauted spinach will leave some water, use that to knead the dough)- add salt to taste. Once kneaded make little balls and place them on very little oil in a cast iron pan/non stick pan. With a flat spatula even them out so they look more flat than round. The tikkis came out yummy and I thought they were super healthy. Rohan ate 3 of them just as a snack. I gave him for lunch in his sandwich and he loved it. Now if I serve him Palak Paneer he tries to pick it up with his fingers like the tikkis and he obviously can't; I guess the green color throws him off!

No comments: